ToA Forums

Help me finding a meaning for T.O.A.

« Older   Newer »
Flans are delicious
view post Posted on 7/2/2011, 23:42

Very well, as you may know, i've been working on our guild in Pandora Saga.
Pandora Saga is a very party oriented game, in fact you can't kill a mob your level without a party.
So forming a guild is something players will need right after level 20 at least if their looking for a fun experience. For that matter we must turn our guild attractive, so it can become powerful and enjoyable. I've already been faced with the question "what does T.O.A. means?" quite a few times, and never was capable of giving an actual answer. I could , of course say it means "The one and only" but..where's the last O? Of course the "Towa" (eternity) is still gonna be used, but , it can't only have that meaning, otherwise why didn't i just called the guild Towa? Anywho, my point is, we must think of something that would caught the attention to people playing this game. A title of the guild is ,for the newbie player, the only hint of how it works on the inside, its ideologies and goals, therefor, if we find a title that will be appealing to the masses, i'm sure our guild will be way more productive.

Keep in mind that I'm not changing the meaning of T.o.A just adding it a new one. I think i've mentioned our guild in Pandora saga as "The Pandora Saga's ToA Branch" so i'm not taking away any meaning, I'm just giving this T.O.A a meaning.

(sorry for the messy essay, but i'm kinda tired, ka-kinda tired)

Anywho we have to find meaings for T, O, and A, and they have to make sense.
I've tought of titles like "Triumph of Arcanum" and other, but that's as far as my imagination went...
I tought that it'd have some sort of poetic feel to it standed for a Musical Term or a Quoting from Poesy...but poesy will probably be too hard...

Here are some musical terms starting with T:
SPOILER (click to view)
# tacet: silent; do not play
# tempo: time; i.e., the overall speed of a piece of music (Tempo literaly means Time in portuguese, may also mean weather)
# teneramente: tenderly
# tenerezza: tenderness
# tenor: the second lowest of the standard four voice ranges (bass, tenor, alto, soprano)
# tenuto: held; i.e., touch on a note slightly longer than usual, but without generally altering the note's value
# ternary: having three parts. In particular, referring to a three-part musical form with the parts represented by letters: ABA
# tessitura: the 'best' or most comfortable pitch range, generally used to identify the most prominent / common vocal range within a piece of music
# timbre: the quality of a musical tone that distinguishes voices and instruments
# time: in a jazz or rock score, after a rubato or rallentendo section, the term "time" indicates that performers should return to tempo (this is equivalent to the term "a tempo")
# tranquillo: calmly, peacefully
# tremolo: shaking; i.e., a rapid repetition of the same note, or an alternation between two or more notes (often an octave on the piano). String players perform tremolo with the bow by rapidly moving the bow while the arm is tense. It can also be intended (inaccurately) to refer to vibrato, which is a slight undulation in pitch. It is notated by a strong diagonal bar across the note stem, or a detached bar for a set of notes (or stemless notes).
# triplet (shown with a horizontal bracket and a '3'): Three notes in the place of two, used to subdivide a beat.
# troppo: too much; usually seen as non troppo, meaning moderately or, when combined with other terms, not too much, such as allegro [ma] non troppo (fast but not too fast)
# tutti: all; all together, usually used in an orchestral or choral score when the orchestra or all of the voices come in at the same time, also seen in Baroque-era music where two instruments share the same copy of music, after one instrument has broken off to play a more advanced form: they both play together again at the point marked tutti.

Here are some musical terms starting with A:
SPOILER (click to view)
acceso: ignited, on fire
adagio: at ease; i.e., play slowly
agile: swiftly
allegro: cheerful or brisk; but commonly interpreted as lively, fast
anacrusis: a note or notes that precede the first full bar; a pickup
andante: at a walking pace; i.e., at a moderate tempo
anima: feeling
arco: the bow used for playing some string instrument; i.e., played with the bow, as opposed to pizzicato (plucked), in music for bowed instruments; normally used to cancel a pizzicato direction

Honestly i think i like these 'cause their all italian... Then again something with a double meaning would be even better!
Latin would sound good too, but may be a bit of a cliche~ Then again , "cliches are cliches because they're good" , or some of them anyways.

Remember that you're not limited to these expressions, not at all! In fact I hope you put some of yourselves into these Anacronyms.
Thanks alot for the help!

LittleMissMisty
view post Posted on 8/2/2011, 05:27

Ah Latin~ How I wish I understood you.

Mm... The Original =A=?

I didn't know what to put in the A part...

JSong
view post Posted on 8/2/2011, 11:40

I don't mind you changing it, but I've always been horrible at making up names.

But if you really think about it, it's not really the name that makes things cool or famous, it first becomes cool or famous and then the name sounds cool.

A name that sums up and represents 3-4 years of ToA's history however, that'll be pretty hard to come up with.

The Other Australia

Flans are delicious
view post Posted on 8/2/2011, 16:39

I understand, but you're really just saying what i said back there...However to someone who doesn't have a clue to what's going on inside the guild, the name of the guild will serve as an hint.

Task of Ares

Flans are delicious
view post Posted on 9/2/2011, 18:27

found some interesting Latin words that sound "cool" :
T
Tabula : Board, Gaming Board, board stuff...
Terminus: Limit
Tantum :Only
tempestas : storm, weather.
totus: all.
Terra: earth

O
obscurum: Darkness
oblivio : forgetfulness, oblivion.
occulto : secretly.
omnis : all, every.
orbis : circle, orb.
ordinatio : rule, government, order, arrangment, regulation.
otium : free time, leisure, ease, peace, repose.
obdormio : to fall asleep.
Ops : Power

A
aer, aeris : air, atmosphere, ether, weather.
appello : to summon
aqua : water.
arma : arms, weapons.
ars : skill method, technique, conduct, character.
astrum : star, constellation.
anima: soul
aeternus: eternity

Remember that we can change the word's order, like Taste Almighty ostriches!! without changing the anocrym order (T.O.A.), at least i think so...
Oh and we can also add "the"s and "and"s between the words, like, Trutle of Oracle and Ascetic!

Also, "unus quod tantum" means The one and only, just a curiosity~

Why latin i wonder? Maybe its 'cause im european and most of our languages come from latin? Then again so does english...I wonder if this only sounds "cool" to me... We could try other languages, or just remain with english, whatever sounds better.

Edited by Flans are delicious - 9/2/2011, 18:50

LittleMissMisty
view post Posted on 10/2/2011, 12:36

Hmm~ But I like the order of TOA. But maybe that's cause I'm so used to pronouncing it Toe-ah.

All those Latin words make me feel like I'm heading for a fancy private school >_<'

Otium by itself sounds pretty funky... (Or are we sticking with an acronym based title?)

Flans are delicious
view post Posted on 10/2/2011, 16:35

Wait, that's not what I ment, T.O.A.'s Order can remain, but the words can be shuffled, like O.ath's of A.ster T.raitor, and T.O.A. still remaining valid.

I also noticed that Ouroboros starts with an O. (well , duh) like i said before Ouroboros stands for eternity, like ToA does, maybe we could use it? Aeon means bascily the same thing as Towa too

Edited by Flans are delicious - 10/2/2011, 23:07

JSong
view post Posted on 11/2/2011, 03:51

My advice, if you're going to use latin in a name, don't go overboard and have all the words latin. Keeping it simple is always the best way, like only having one and other words to compliment.

And now random words that fit the abbreviations
Tired of Anime
Trust Only Animals
Tree of Allegories
Tempo of Allegro
Too Old AHHHH
Trick Old Assassins
Troubled Odd Acorns

LittleMissMisty
view post Posted on 11/2/2011, 12:58

xD Trust only animals. Which could be true unless you see spiders and snakes and other dangerous animals -3- It's not their fault though! It's how they live~~~

Anyway~ OAT? xD Looks like a smiley with an eye that has been poked.
Hmm... This is hard~

Ourobosososos sounds like Malboros from Final Fantasy... oh noes, equip the white ribbon!

I can't think of one from just arranging letters... There must be an inside joke out there! *stares at older ToA members*

This is hurting my brain >_<;

Flans are delicious
view post Posted on 11/2/2011, 15:55

Hmm ouroboros sounds nothing like malboros! Malboros mean bad breath!

An inside joke...an inside joke, i wonder if an inside joke would be appealing tho...

JSong
view post Posted on 12/2/2011, 03:13

Oh is that what it means? I remember him doing tons of status effects on your party :O! But wasn't that hard to kill, just looked a lil freaky xD.

Time on Acid :O haha

LittleMissMisty
view post Posted on 13/2/2011, 11:55

Malboros bad breath is like... Getting the bird flu and all these other diseases all at once. Cause they play dirty that's why! Got 'K'Od' cause all my party were petrified and yeah... Game over =(
But I got my revenge.

Yeah, it was. Very freaky.

Hm... Like, I mean... we need something that is gonna make people remember us~ (I dunno how to explain it) Like if we partie'd alot and for example Fade overexaggerates his Shiny-ness or J does the same with his I'd eat anything that moves and isn't poisonous, people would remember "Oh hey, it's that dude... which is in a group called TOA" or something... (Like, that's what I meant about having an inside joke) It's kinda an open joke but... those that know it will have a better understanding of it?

If that made any sense, which I'm sure didn't... BLEH! *rolls around*

All I know is, I'm poop'd from all this thinking -3-

JSong
view post Posted on 15/2/2011, 19:35

haha ya, and that's why vegetables are bad! or whatever he is.

And I agree, but trying to come up with a new name is pretty hard, might as well just pick something if you wanna do it.

Team Onii-chan AYEEE!

Flans are delicious
view post Posted on 15/2/2011, 22:53

oh i for a second i read "I poop'd from all this thinking" but tought "this isn't mimi...!"

Terra Ocean Atmosphere
Temple of Apep (Temple of A...)

While i like your idea mimi, that sort of meaning would fit better in a more childish game, like the ones we've been playing so far... not so much for Pandora Saga

LittleMissMisty
view post Posted on 16/2/2011, 06:17

The O... Atlas

In your dreams J! I bet your brains go all soft when some one calls you oniichan xD

Really? I think it could work... But you'd have to deal with more mature things I guess... Like hmm... A mix of being ourselves and having extremely well-known traits. (Which I guess comes with having a large enough group) E.G: If TOA were huge, but you or J would prob be the most well known for... being 'that' type of leader. When I say 'that' I mean, that could be anything like : Cool, extremely nice, extremely flamboyant, extremely lazy but strangely pulls out the crazy skills etc... I dunno. (I'm been away from games for a while now huuhuuhuu...)

The only thing I've definately decided to do is, if I can some how incorporate TOA in any of my assignments, I will. And provide a link/background statement about TOA & this forum. If that will even work is beyond me...

*rolls around*

20 replies since 7/2/2011, 23:42   132 views